Welcome to Faraway Files. As many of you know, I recently joined this travel link-up as co-host, and today the link-up can be found here. It’s been a lot of fun and a good distraction from the holiday craze – though I secretly love the madness. Christmas has always been my favorite holiday.
The weather has been unseasonably warm this year in the New York area, so for us the holidays came on fast. I haven’t done my cards, have purchased 2 gifts, and still need to finish some small house decorations. But we bought our tree and hung our ornaments, so progress is being made!
No doubt it’s a hectic time for all, so within the lead-up to Hanukah and Christmas, I always look forward to unwinding at night and reading – especially Faraway Files, and getting lost in everyone’s travel tales and stories. Which leads me to my favorites from last week:
I am always so envious of the European Christmas markets I read about, particularly in Germany. I loved reading Erin at Large’s What to Do and What to Eat at German Christmas Markets – it all looks so magical and festive. Erin provides some great tips too, so it’s every bit a practical guide as much as it is inspirational.
I really enjoyed Wander Mum’s Santorini with Kids: Pros and Cons of Visiting as a Family. It’s a realistic account of what works and what doesn’t, for anyone considering a family holiday to Santorini.
I was very intrigued by Go Live Young’s Visiting the Dead Sea with Children, especially their self-made spa treatment! The post ends with some good tips on how to take the kids there, as it’s not easy, especially for the younger ones.
This week I’m linking up my post Best Family Friendly Museums in New York City. From art to history to science, there are so many kid-friendly options in New York. This is a guide to the city’s best museums for families.
ABOUT FARAWAY FILES
This is the place to link up your travel posts every Thursday. Faraway Files is a weekly file of the best travel ideas on the web. We want to dream of faraway places, to make new travel plans and share our travel secrets. Inspire us to travel to places we’ve never considered before or revisit a place we thought we knew. We know that you can feel faraway even when you’re close to home so share your experiences of travels near and far wherever you are in the world.
We love our link up and the supportive community we’ve created. If you join in, please reciprocate and comment on the hosts’ posts as well as any others that take your eye. If we see a pattern of people not joining in, we have decided that it’s fairest to all of us to remove the links of those posters.
So let’s inspire and share each other’s posts. We’ll try to read and comment on every post and we’ll share them on social media too. Each week we’ll choose our favourites and highlight them on our blogs and social media channels using #FarawayFiles.
HOW IT WORKS
- Link up one travel-related post and add the Faraway Files badge onto the post or your blog (code below) or link back to the hosts.
- The link up will go live every Thursday at 8am, UK time, until midnight on Friday. It will alternate between Untold Morsels, Suitcases and Sandcastles, Oregon Girl around the World, HilaryStyle and Fifi + Hop. This week’s link up is with Fifi + Hop (see below).
- Link ups work best if everyone shares so please comment on all of the current hosts’ posts and at least one other.
- Tweet us your posts (@fifiandhop, @suitandsand, @UntoldMorsels, @oregongirlworld, @Hilarystyleme) using the hashtag #FarawayFiles and we’ll retweet to our followers.
- Love Instagram? Share your favourite photos from your posts with us, tagging #FarawayFiles and we’ll add our favourites to our Faraway Files Instagram feed.
Check out our Faraway Files Facebook page too.