GPS-GUIDED TRAVEL ARTICLES: A NEW WAY TO TRAVEL

GPS-GUIDED TRAVEL ARTICLES: A NEW WAY TO TRAVEL

I know what you’re thinking. What exactly is a GPS-guided travel article? Thanks to the creators behind GPSMyCity, a travel publishing site, they have come up with the genius idea of turning travel articles into guided walking apps, by having the GPS coordinates of the author’s destinations and sites embedded into the articles. It is a new technology that is changing the way we travel. And I’m pleased to say that I am teaming up with GPSMyCity to have some of my posts converted into Apple ITunes and Google apps!

THIS IS HOW IT WORKS

images

Picture yourself on vacation. You’ve done a lot of research to prepare for the trip, and have many attractions and sites you want to see. You’ve browsed through several websites and blogs to find out exactly where you want to go: restaurants, museums, historical sites, beaches, shopping, etc. But once you’re there you’re either in a no Wi-Fi zone, or simply don’t want to pay for or use up your data by going online. But you need all that good info.! I’m happy to say there is a solution! GPSMyCity has thousands of articles – in over 600 cities worldwide – that they have converted into apps. Simply download the apps on your phone, and you can read these articles wherever you are, and with no internet needed. Deserted beach with no Wi-Fi, no problem. Each article has the GPS coordinates of the sites described, along with a map, so you can walk from place to place without getting lost. Your phone has literally become your own personal tour guide! Can you tell I’m excited about this concept? I am. I hate using up my data, especially when I’m abroad, and I always seem to pay way more than my original phone “plan”.

The great thing about these apps is that they are free, meaning you can download an article and have it saved on your phone for whenever and wherever you want to read it. If you’d like to have access to the GPS coordinates and map, you have the option to upgrade for a small fee ($1.99).

gpsmycity-screenshots

FREE GIVE-AWAY

Curious to see how it all works? I am offering a free upgrade for a limited time of two of my articles (see below). You can access these GPS-guided articles one of two ways:

1.) Click on the link for the article you are interested in, follow the instructions to download the GPSMyCity app, at which point you will be directed to the article – and from there choose upgrade, where you will be linked to a GPS navigator and off-line map.

2.) Click on the GPSMyCity app to browse by city to see which articles are available.

Here are the two articles:

Vacation for a Day? Go to Cold Spring, NY

(One of the coolest towns in the Hudson Valley)

A Guide to Dining and Shopping in Naples, FL

(No sleepy FL town, Naples is known for its culinary and retail therapy scene)

Have fun, and I’d love your feedback!

Share:

16 Comments

1. September 12, 2016 / 4:49 pm

What a great concept! I hate using my data too when abroad. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

• September 12, 2016 / 8:03 pm

I agree – a great new concept..

2. September 12, 2016 / 9:16 pm

I have one I downloaded for Florence 🙂 Somewhat prematurely because I don’t know if or when I’ll ever get there. 🙂 But if I do I’ll be prepared. I’m not very high tech so I don’t how much I would use it because I tend to just follow my nose. Having youngsters will keep you up to date with technology 🙂

• September 12, 2016 / 10:15 pm

So true Jo..and I appreciate following your own nose, can definately relate. But do love this new concept :).

• September 13, 2016 / 6:51 am

Just downloaded Edinburgh for a visit this week. Dragged kicking and screaming into ….whichever century 🙂

• September 13, 2016 / 6:09 pm

Ha – have fun!!!:) Hope the app works out ok!

• September 13, 2016 / 6:30 pm

Thanks 🙂

3. September 13, 2016 / 10:57 am

It looks really great! They got in touch with me but I never got around to sorting it out – was concerned there was some sort of catch!! Seems like that’s not the case though Corey!!

• September 13, 2016 / 6:08 pm

No but I understand! I did some research first (found articles on it on NY Times, etc.) and then some other well-respected bloggers I follow work with them as well, so all good!

4. September 14, 2016 / 1:54 am

I’ve had not had great luck with gps in the past but I’d be willing to try yours. Best of luck!

• September 16, 2016 / 2:52 pm

Exactly! Thanks for reading:)

5. September 20, 2016 / 8:45 am

Very interested to read this. They got in touch with me too but like Joy (from Joy Loves Travel) I was concerned it may have been a scam so didn’t reply to the email. I’m not very tech savvy either though so wasn’t sure how easy it would be to do. Sounds like it’s genuine though?!!

• September 20, 2016 / 4:26 pm

Yes, it is! I know, I researched them before I replied, you never know. But it’s 100% legit. If you’re interested, they’re very nice to work with and give simple, easy instructions to follow. Let me know if you have any q’s!