Skytop Lodge

Skytop Lodge

I have been meaning to post this ever since our trip to Skytop, PA over Thanksgiving break, but alas the holidays have gotten the best of me. With not once, but twice our Christmas tree falling down (am I really admitting this online?!) – precious, sentimental ornaments crashing down into tiny pieces, the cries of girls’ screaming and tears I’m sure leaving our neighbors wondering what the hell is going on next door. “First Christmas” and ballerina ornaments have been lost, and the second crash really sent the girls into a tailspin. We think the problem’s fixed, but of course what ensued in the following days was emergency clean-up and X-mas tree shopping, on top of the rest of the holiday madness, which came fast this year! But enough of that. Here is a quick review of Skytop Lodge in Skytop, PA, the ultimate family-friendly resort in the Poconos.

IMG_1117

I say “quick” because I’ve already reviewed it before (see here), as we have been going to Skytop Lodge (a big lodge beautifully set on 5,500 acres in the Poconos in Pennsylvania, with every activity imaginable for both adults and kids), for what is hard to believe, 7 years now. I thought I’d bring people up to date, because after this year’s (very good) experience, I think it’s note-worthy to mention the improvements that have been made. In my last post on Skytop, I said that we have been going for years now with my in-laws and cousins, and the kids have always loved it as there is so much to do both outdoors and indoors, but that last year there were some disappointing things about the lodge which I had hoped would be worked out. Looks like they worked them out.

IMG_1205

IMG_1225

Last year the food was not great, in fact my Thanksgiving meal was the worst I’ve ever had. The rooms were dated (as they always had been since we started going), and the main lodge’s reception area dated and old-fashioned as well. Some of the indoor activities for kids were lame and not well-staffed, and in general it just felt like the overall feel and service had gone down hill. After our trip last year, someone told me the hotel was going to renovate and make a big overhaul, and it seems they did. The food this year was great – Thanksgiving meal was the best I’ve had there in all seven years, and the rest of the meals very good; I heard they got a new chef. The rooms (at least the ones we stayed in) had been renovated and the lobby area had been as well, with some swanky new furniture and décor to replace the grandma-ish style from before. We peered into a big room off the side of the lobby and could see that they’re building a new bar room, which looks big and awesome.

IMG_1252

IMG_1100

The kids’ activities were all well-run this year, and some of the activities from last year which seemed they had as fillers and not great, were gone. Our favorite activity is the outdoor walks and hikes with the lodge’s naturalist, Rick. He is great and not to be missed. He is a walking encyclopedia, engaging, fun, and knows how to lure the kids in. Everyone loves Rick, and he’s a huge asset to the lodge. All of the indoor activities we did (on a rainy day) were good too, with various arts and crafts workshops and entertainment for the kids.

IMG_1091

IMG_1173

Overall, we had a great experience this year at Skytop, and they really brought things up a notch to a much classier level. I often equate Skytop with it being a babysitter, because there is so much to keep the kids busy, one really doesn’t need to do much but sit back and watch!

Skytop Lodge, One Skytop, PA 18357

18 Comments

1. December 15, 2015 / 11:29 am

What a shame about your tree accident and losing those precious baubles – we had a similar incident a few years ago and lost the “first Christmas” bauble too:(
    This looks like a great place, stunning setting and just as well you didn’t give up on it after a bad time last year, seems completely sorted and perfect now.

• December 15, 2015 / 4:22 pm

Thanks so much Joy – you make a good point in not giving up, the hospitality business is not a perfect science and when you can really appreciate everything else a place has to offer, sometimes it’s worth the risk – with fingers crossed ha;).

2. Walter S, Scott,jr.
    December 15, 2015 / 2:49 pm

Glad ya’ll had an enjoyable time. Great family memories made!

• December 15, 2015 / 4:24 pm

Thanks Walter. Yes, memories and photos. Lots of photos – sometimes feel like a hoarder with the photos..;).

3. December 15, 2015 / 6:04 pm

Love that lead photo and the perspective of the path leading into the forest!

• December 15, 2015 / 10:01 pm

Thanks Sue! It was an amazing part of the property.

4. December 15, 2015 / 7:07 pm

Glad you wrote about the improvements. Yes it was wonderful….

5. December 16, 2015 / 1:31 pm

Your Christmas tree, gosh! Ok I won’t say anymore but hope your preparations for Christmas are going fine, another a week to go…Love your photos here, and especially the first one (cover photo).

• December 16, 2015 / 4:24 pm

Thanks Kat! Can’t believe another week..happy holidays!

• December 17, 2015 / 1:57 am

Happy Holidays to you too!

6. December 16, 2015 / 7:19 pm

When the kids are happy, everybody’s happy 🙂 Awful about the ornaments! I don’t have many breakables on my tree these days but I still have a lot of old ‘friends’.

7. December 18, 2015 / 12:52 pm

Sorry to hear about your Christmas tree dramas – glad it’s all fixed now. Our cat managed to knock the tree over last year so know the feeling! The Lodge sounds a great place to retreat to especially now it’s been renovated. The nature trails look wonderful from your photos and the guided tours sound a great idea 🙂

• December 18, 2015 / 11:15 pm

Haha our cat knocked our tree over last year too – yes, we have a lot of Xmas tree issues! Hope you didn’t lose too many ornaments. Thanks for your nice words and Merry Christmas!

• December 19, 2015 / 12:16 pm

Fortunately we didn’t lose any of the really special ones with sentimental value! Am keeping a close eye on the cat this year!! Merry Christmas to you too! 🙂

8. December 20, 2015 / 9:23 am

Oh, that’s so sad about your tree ornaments. Hope you didn’t lose too many. It’s great that you’ve been able to go back to Skytop and talk about their improvements. Clearly they’ve listened to feedback! Looks like a really special place. Happy Xmas to you and yours, hope you have a wonderful time

• December 21, 2015 / 2:30 pm

Thanks Ting – have a Merry Christmas yourself and happy holidays!